Find My Phone - can no longer send messages?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by mkstewartesq@co, Sep 20, 2012.

1. mkstewartesq@co macrumors regular

Looking at the updated Find My Phone app, it appears there's no longer a way to send messages to the located device (there's only an option to play a sound, though the iTunes description still touts the ability to send a message as well.) Am I missing something?

I actually found the message feature incredibly useful because my teenage daughter is on my account and she's pretty forgetful about charging her phone. Since we don't live in the same household, when I call and her phone is dead, I will use Find My Phone to send a message to her iPod telling her to get in touch with me. (Yes, I could send an iMessage to the iPod, but the Find My Phone feature makes a longer, more noticeable alert noise, making it more likely she'd hear it and get the message to let me know she's okay.)

Any insight on whether this feature is still there and I'm just not seeing it?

Mike

2. KnackeRED macrumors newbie

KnackeRED

It's now called Lost Mode, it basically locks the phone/ipod and you can optionally put in a phone number and message. So you could do this and then play a sound afterwards to make it more audible

3. mkstewartesq@co thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the information. Not thrilled that they're handling it this way, as it sounds like the only way I can send a message to her iPod telling her to please reply is to also lock her iPod - which prevents her from replying from it.

(Of course, I guess I could lock her iPod and send the message, except now the message would be "once again, plug your freaking phone in - I'll unlock your damn iPod once you call.") ;)

Thanks again,
    Mike

4. KnackeRED macrumors newbie

KnackeRED

It's a NEW feature Mike, and not just apple p*55*ng around so they can call it a new feature :D