Find my phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Brewerpaul, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

I recently installed iOS5 and just downloaded the Find My Phone app. When I go to the iCloud website, it finds my phone OK*, but does not show me the option to lock it remotely, play annoying sounds, wiping it, etc. I did set up a passcode, but turned it off on SETTINGS since I don't want to have to enter it every time I use my phone.
    Am I doing something wrong?

*Actually, the app "finds" my phone in our next door neighbor's house, even though it's sitting on my desk in front of me. :rolleyes:

2. BGTHEMOGUL macrumors 6502

Click on it when it finds it on the map and it should bring up those options you mentioned. That's how it works for me. If you turned the password off then you won't be able to lock it remotely though.

3. Brewerpaul thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, I have it figured out. It works with password turned OFF which is good because I'd go nuckin' futs if I had to enter my password hundreds of times per day when I use my phone...

On the locator map, I RIGHT click on my phone which brings up a box which says "Paul's iPhone" with a little blue letter "i" for information I guess. LEFT clicking on this letter brings up an options box which lets you lock the phone or perform the other options. It worked just fine and locked my phone perfectly.

4. BGTHEMOGUL macrumors 6502

So it lets you lock your phone even though you have the password lock turned off on the actual device? Didn't know that was possible.

5. Brewerpaul thread starter macrumors regular

Yup-- give it a try. It's a great feature.
    I'm hoping that as this becomes general public knowledge it will discourage theft of iPhones and other iDevices. One of my co-workers had his phone stolen (pre Find My iPhone) and the thief knew that the phone was likely to be disabled remotely, there would have been a lot less incentive to steal it.

6. BGTHEMOGUL macrumors 6502