Find my Stolen iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by asdf212, Jan 8, 2011.

1. asdf212 macrumors regular

I recently left my iPad on an airplane. I called the airline immediately and they said they 'could not find it' .

I dont have any specific tracking application - however I do have MobileMe Mail registered on it.

Is there ANYTHING I can do?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not really. You're SOL for all practical purposes.

3. asdf212, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011

asdf212 thread starter macrumors regular

4. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

Apple offers free Find my iPhone/iPad for iOS 4 devices. anyone who doesn't take advantage of this great service is making a mistake. so I'd say go to the App Store and do a search for Find my iPhone, download the app, and sign up for the free service. as for tracking a MBA, no clue, do some googling. I bet there is some application out there.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

And you need to understand their position. It's not cost-effective for them to go to the effort of tracking down every last stolen Apple device that gets reported to them. The regulatory and legal consequences of them refusing to do the same are just a tad more important than the average Joe threatening not to buy an iPad the next time if they refuse to find the one he lost.

On iOS devices you "Find my Phone" from Apple. For the MBA, try Undercover from Orbicule.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I' pretty sure this is wrong, Find My iPhone must be installed before it is lost. If you have some source to prove me wrong please post it.

7. TheChillPill, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011

TheChillPill macrumors regular

Just tried this myself because I was concerned I may have missed a step.

Nothing needs to be installed on the 'lost' device, however you do need to have the 'find iphone/ipad' option ON within the mobileme account details.

EDIT - worth noting that the default when adding an account appears to be ON, so it might be worth the OP trying this anyway if he logs in to me.com