Find old iPhone backup in Time Machine

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by iMoverBerlin, Sep 17, 2014.

1. iMoverBerlin, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

iMoverBerlin macrumors newbie

Hi all,

So I just upgraded the iOS on my iPhone. I had to delete Garage Band to make space, and then when I re-installed it my songs were missing (guess I didn't save them to the cloud).

I already backed up my phone in iTunes after installing the new software. I would like to restore my iPhone from an old backup so I can get my song back, but iTunes only lets me restore from the last back up (which I never realized).

I looked around about how to find old iPhone backups via Time Machine. I know I need to go to 'user/library/application support/mobilesyc/backups' to find old backups, but I need to do this in Time Machine.

It seems that I am unable to access my user library when I enter Time Machine. I have an alias for that folder but it doesn't work (on my regular desktop it works fine).

So two questions...how do I access that mobile sync folder in Time Machine and once I do how do I restore that folder so I can restore my iPhone form an old backup?

Thank you all very much!

UPDATE! Ok I figured out how to find that folder in Time Machine (open it on the desktop first and them go enter Time Machine. But, I don't want to restore every back-up. Only the latest one in the back up folder. How do I find that? Thanks again!

2. comics addict macrumors 6502a

You should be able to go inside the folder and look for the backup file from the date that you are sure that would contain the GarageBand data. Just press restore on the lower right-hand side in time machine after selecting the appropriate file and it would automatically save the file into your current folder on your main drive. I'm afraid I can't help you on how to restore only the save data from GarageBand without doing a clean restore of your device. Perhaps someone else can chime in?

3. iMoverBerlin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. But the problem there is that I only find backups from as recently as 2013. I have no idea why as I'm looking at a Time Machine backup that was done only last week. Plus I've definitely backed up my phone last week as well. Why can't I find it?

4. iMoverBerlin thread starter macrumors newbie

OK I got it to work! I realized that it's the folder that is from 2013, but the newer backups are inside that folder. So I restored that folder, found the older backup in iTunes and restored the phone. Voila! My songs are back in Garage Band.

BUT....for some reason it won't let me restore all the instruments and sounds I bought a while back. I get a message asking if I want to purchase all the sounds. I click the already purchased button and I get the pin wheel for a long time. Then it asks me to enter my App store ID over and over again.

Anyone know why this might be happening??

5. iMoverBerlin thread starter macrumors newbie

Got this sorted, too. Just had to update Garage Band after the iOS update.

Thanks for your help!

6. comics addict macrumors 6502a