Find/Track each other at a store/amusement park???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pigumon, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Pigumon macrumors 6502

Pigumon

Google does NOT help. If I type in "track" or "location" it just comes up with tons of apps to track your phone from a computer if it gets stolen, or " i want to track my fiancee cuz i think he's cheating on me" (scary btch) ;)

This is what I'm looking for-

You and someone else, both with iphones, go into Costco and suddenly split up. You want to open an app and see a proximity of where the other iphone is.
    Or maybe you're at Disneyland and one group is at Splash Mountain, the other group is in the Tiki Room.

Open an app, and bleep bleep bleep "oh they're in that direction about 100 feet away". or even better, a map pops up (kind of pointless for inside a store).

This would be something that is private, and both iphone uses have knowledge of.

is there ANY app like this??

2. kmullen macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (My iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I don't know if these is feasible or even possible, as I've no other iPhone to test with. But maybe, with Find my iPhone apps on both iPhones, is it possible to log into each others apple account and find each other that way?

3. sbddude macrumors 6502a

4. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

There is many social apps that do this, I have no need so I don't know any lol. But if u both have iPhones u can text the location from within the maps app and they can just click the text and it will show them that location in the maps app. It's not real time tracking but it can work.

5. Gjeepguy macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well there is the phone app which allows you to call them and ask where they are and the messages app which allows you to send a text message to ask where they are.

Just kidding...

Find my iPhone would work if you are on the same iTunes account

6. Gavernty macrumors 6502

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is your best solution. It works well.

This is not an 'all-the-time" solution, though. Everyone will have to turn on its background updating at the start of your day. This will hurt battery life but it's worth it for a day at a theme park. It'll work great for things like that.

But I wouldn't leave it on every single day. I'd only use it for special events like that.

8. bdenge macrumors member

My wife and I use Google Latitude and we leave it on all the time. We still get decent battery life.

But, it's not nearly accurate enough to track down a friend in a store. Just last night I checked to see if my wife was almost home from work and it said she was a mile away. 2 seconds later the garage door opened.

9. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

10. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I second this. Quite cool

12. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

But the OP stated that they wanted privacy, this they will not get with Google.

I too would like to hear about non-Google apps for this use case.

13. huskerchad macrumors regular

We use Loopt. You get background updates, which as someone mentioned, are not enough for precision tracking, but you can also ping someone and they can choose (through a push notification) to give you their pinpoint location.

14. .JahJahwarrior. macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Heytell

15. Squid7085 macrumors 6502a

Google Latitude or Loopt, that would be my suggestion. I keep Latitude running all the time, and my battery life has not suffered. As far as privacy is concerned, I don't see why you think Latitude isn't private. You have all kinds of options to share your location, specific or otherwise, with whoever you want. It's not like somebody can search your name on Google and find your Latitude location.

16. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

I would also suggest Google Latitude, but as others have said there's probably no way you're going to get the kind of accuracy to make any GPS based app effective indoors in a store like Costco, but for something like Disney Land or other theme parks it should work just fine. When all else fails call/text with the classic "where are you?"

17. old-wiz macrumors G3

Usually GPS will stop working when you go inside a store anyway.