Finder: 'accordion-like' feature so columns stay in view?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by malch, Oct 31, 2011.

1. malch macrumors 6502

Hi there,
    I don't know how to describe this clearly, but I'll try.
    When I'm using Finder (or Path Finder), when I move from folder to folder to folder (following things hierarchically, folders within folders, from left to right), if I go more than about three levels, the higher-level folder on the left disappears from view... and once I've found what I'm looking for I have to scroll back to find this top-level folder.
    Does anyone know what I mean?
    Of course it has to work this way to some extent, and of course it also depends on how wide my Finder window is, but what I'd like is for Finder to 'squeeze' the columns a bit, like an accordion, so that the columns get narrower, and don't disappear, and I don't lose sight of the top-level folder.
    Is there a setting in Finder, or Path Finder, that would allow for this? If not, is there third-party app that would allow for this?
    thanks,
    malch

2. simsaladimbamba

You could always use the PATH BAR to double click and thus jump to the parent folder.
    Or use the ARROW keys to navigate.
    [​IMG]

3. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I've never heard of a way to do this, I'm pretty sure it's not possible. But you could try using Finder's path bar (View > Show Path Bar) so not to lose sight of the top folder.

Edit : Damn, started replying then went off to do something else and didn't refresh before hitting "Submit Reply", thanks simsaladimbamba :D

Attached Files:

4. malch thread starter macrumors 6502

Path Bar's the answer!
    Thank you to both of you.
    Regards,
    malch

5. malch thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks flat five. I've added Path to my Finder toolbar. But even more useful, it seems to me, is the folder path at the bottom of the Finder window. If I find a document in a folder (within a folder within a folder, etc.) and want to drag it to the top folder, I can do this via the folder path at the bottom of the window, but not via the 'Path' in the toolbar above.

If this is indeed the case, by the way, then it makes good old Finder more helpful to me than Path Finder, which doesn't show me my folder travels along the bottom of the window (and therefore doesn't allow me the same easy access to a folder that's three or four folders earlier).

I appreciate the advice, as always,
    malch

6. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

FYI Path Finder does support the bottom of the window in v6 ( now in late beta ) which should be out soon.