finder alias in dock

Discussion in 'macOS' started by moonman157, Apr 6, 2007.

1. moonman157 macrumors newbie

This seems like a silly question but a solution is eluding me.

I was careless and managed to trash my Finder alias from the dock. I'd like to replace it, but seeing as it's not really an application, I can't recreate the alias. The one thing I could think to try was to make an alias of the Hard Drive and try to put that in the dock. Of course, this didn't work. Any suggestions?

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

1) That is nearly impossible without some Dock hack.

2) Finder is an App in the HD/System/Library/Core Services directory.

Good Luck,

TEG

3. Angrist macrumors 6502

How the hell did you delete it in the first place?

AFAIK you can't remove a running program from the Dock, and the Finder runs all the time unless you have some screwy settings somewhere.

My first thought would be to restart.

Second, open the Terminal and type "open foldername" where foldername is some folder in your user directory. This SHOULD open the folder in a new Finder window. Then once it launches, right click the Finder icon in the dock and select "Keep in Dock"

4. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

If you use Path Finder you have the option to stop Finder from running, meaning you could remove it from the Dock. I think.

5. moonman157 thread starter macrumors newbie

I really have no idea how it happened. When it happened I was trying to eject a DVD, by dragging it over the trash. But the trash can didn't change to an eject sign, and I got that little "whiff of smoke" you get when you remove an alias. I could swear that's all I was doing, but I must have made some careless mistake. Sounds really silly, I know.

Anyway TEG's solution helped. I just had to drag the finder alias into the dock and it reappeared. Thanks so much for your help folks.