Finder / all apps receiving false keyboard/cursor input! flickering cursors etc

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by patent10021, Oct 21, 2013.

1. patent10021 macrumors 68020

patent10021

Recently my cursor and finder have been acting really buggy. I can't even work sometimes. It's not consistent too. I'll be say working in PS and want to enter an integer but then the dialog window will close because of a ghost like mouse/cursor action. Finder thinks I've clicked enter or cancel but I haven't. Actually the action did occur but I didn't do it. It's like mouse actions are being automatically engaged. Cursor flickers on browser windows and sometimes when I close a any window finder thinks I'm holding down keys like ENTER on the keyboard because it does that rapid beeping when you hold down an illegal key for a long time.

I tried PRAM reset/reboots disconnecting peripherals. changing batteries.

I can't try another mouse though because I don't have one. But even if I did I don't think it would have an effect because these actions are happening without me touching the trackpad.

Somehow finder is receiving false mouse/cursor/keyboard messages.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

You haven't told us your OS version, type of Mac and type of mouse.

I suggest you try another mouse or the built in trackpad (if there is one). I've heard of stuff like this on Windows but not on OSX.

3. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

forgot

2011 Mac Mini Server
    OSX 10.8.5 / 16GB
    Wireless Apple keyboard / Trackpad

Weird for a few hrs it was misbehaving. I couldn't work with it so I went out for a bit and now its ok. This happens all the time.

4. samh macrumors 6502

Does anybody nearby have a wireless keyboard or mouse?

5. patent10021 thread starter macrumors 68020

patent10021

dont think so. Plus the behaviour is always the same. Always a ghost carriage return or something.
    I think this is Finder related because the OSX menus, actually all menus act weird too. If I click on them they immediately release so I can't scroll down the list with my trackpad. I have to use the keyboard arrows and even then I have to time it right.

6. samh macrumors 6502

My gut says it may in fact be a hardware issue, perhaps with the connetionf rom the keyboard/trackpad to the logic board.