Finder: All folders at the top, vs. everything sorted alphabetically?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by naked, Jun 10, 2010.

1. naked macrumors member

Is there a way to have Finder display my folders at the top, and then the files beneath? Scrolling through all the files to get the folder I want is a pain.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There is PathFinder to circumvent that. Or if you know the name of the folder (bonkers for example) you just enter the first letters in short succession to jump there (like bonk).

similar threads

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

4. forcefieldkid macrumors 6502

5. naked thread starter macrumors member

Hum, I don't want to go around Finder by using PathFinder (I also don't want to pay $20), and the other hacks referenced in links are all over a year old, and I can't seem to find the file that is being referenced.

I've noticed the same behavior is true for using "ls" in Terminal. This seems odd, as only OSX has this type of behavior out of all the OS's I've used.

The hack around this in Finder is to change "Folder" to " Folder", in a specified file, however, all of the references to files are from previous versions of OSX. I'm running 10.6.3. This post lays out the process well, but again, it isn't for 10.6.3, any thoughts on what file I need to modify now? http://forum.notebookreview.com/apple-mac-os-x/208068-make-finder-sort-type-folders-top.html

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It's mostly because it sees files and folders as the same type of objects on the drive. It's a Unix thing. Not saying they couldn't work around it, but this is part of the reason. I've become very use to it and like it now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_system

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Just set it to Arrange by Kind. That will get the folders all together, and for the most part, at the top. There could be some stray file types that take over the very top, but ordinarily files will follow the folders.

8. naked thread starter macrumors member

Because I don't like settling for "almost as good". And really it isn't, its all the folders together, but then my files are clumped together, and in a directory with multiple "kind"'s of files, this is even more annoying than having my folders mixed in with everything else.

It obviously possible through the hacks, and through PathFinder. It's rather frustrating its not included as an option. Despite myself not being used to it, it should still be an option somewhere.

I've got a LOT of files, and a lot of different types of files. Spotlight and Quicksilver are AMAZING, way better than anything else I've used with Linux or Windows. But with the volume and variety of files that I have, it is sometimes difficult to find what I'm looking for, and so folder and file sorting is helpful.

Any one know the file I need to modify on 10.6.3?

9. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I've never heard of a way of altering OSX to make it do what you are asking. But, given that you're peeved about the above (first quote) and that the OS won't presently do what you want, you're gonna need to use a workaround (aka "not the best solution") or live with what the OS will give you.

Wish I had a better answer. But, back to that first quote... Make a folder called A Folder of *** (where *** describes them to distinguish them from others). Put all your other folders in this folder. Now all your folders are together. If A Folder of *** does not show up at the top, then put a space before the A.

If I give it more thought, I might come up with another workaround. Or maybe you can "think outside the box" and come up with a better one. I hear your frustration that it won't give you the option you crave, but you'll have to take that up with Apple.