Finder: All My Files won't open (found no solution)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ashimanov, Jul 20, 2012.

1. ashimanov macrumors newbie

I just bought my first Mac (MacBook Air, 1,8 i5, Mac OS X 10.7.4) and was twicking with "All My Files" in Finder. After playing a little with Search Criteria "All My Files" became empty, only showed files if I entered something in search box. After several attempts to restore it, "All My Files" stopped responding and now does not open at all. I can click it but it does nothing, "All My Files" does not even gets selected and highlighted.
    Please help me to restore it to original state.
    PS: I have searched the internet for answers. It seems deleting com.apple.finder.plist and com.apple.sidebarlists.plist would help but these files is not in /home/library/preferences folder. Seems they do not exist on my computer.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Those two files are absolutely where you say you cannot find them. So, that means you are not looking there. Your Mac has three Library folders. You must be in the one in your Home folder to find those files. I'm still in 10.5, so I hope this is right... Hold down the Option key and click the Go menu to "unhide" that Library folder.

3. ashimanov thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for help, Gregg2!

I found those files, deleted them, restarted Finder using "alt+right click". Nothing changed, still cannot open "All My Files". Also each time I try opening it all my open windows start behaving strangely. I can open, close, and minimize all windows. However, they become inactive split second after each time I open or click on them. Like there is an invisible window that auto activates itself all the time.
    This is fixed easily by restarting Finder but I do not find this behavior normal :)
    Can anyone help with a solution to fix Finder in my situation?

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I think you should restart the computer. Otherwise it may still be using the old plist files. If the files "are back" where you deleted them from, then the above is incorrect, and just restarting Finder replaced them. In that case, I'm not sure where the problem might be. So, the thing to do is log in under a different user account. Create one if you don't have two. If the behavior is gone, there is something wrong with your account, but you might not be able to find it. It could be easier to dump it for the new one. Be sure to move all your Documents to the new account so you don't lose them.

5. leokwanbt14 macrumors newbie

Have the same PROBLEM as ashimanov

ashimanov, did you ever find a solution to your problem besides a system restore? I have the same exact symptoms that you had (can't highlight or select "all my files", windows get buggy after clicking the folder, almost like an INVISIBLE WINDOW THAT KEEPS OPENING WHEN YOU CLICK ANOTHER WINDOW), my only solution is relaunching FINDER, but who wants to live like that? :/

6. AlexDenvor macrumors newbie

TTT
    Also have same problems, would really like a working solution!

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Open terminal and enter (copy paste after you changed ***) the following command:

cd /Users/***/Library/Preferences ; rm /Users/***/Library/Preferences/com.apple.sidebarlists.plist /Users/***/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist ; killall Finder

Hit Enter

Note: *** = your User Name
    Terminal is in /Applications/Utilities