Finder Auto-Refreshing and Losing Folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jgere, Aug 12, 2013.

1. jgere macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've had a problem with my mac for the last month or so where I'll be several folders deep into a folder and while there actually still searching, Finder/the drive will refresh and suddenly I'm back at 'Macintosh HD'.

This has only just started happening, I'm up-to-date with updates, haven't installed anything different and it happens with all my drives. I don't understand why it's happening but it's getting beyond a joke. If I'm updating any file, I have to re-search for it as again, Finder has refreshed and gone back to the main directory.

Does anyone know what could be happening? Any help with this would be very welcome.

Thank you

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Go to the /YourHardDrive/Users/YouUserName/Library/Preferences/ and find the file: com.apple.finder.plist. Throw that out and restart. See if this helps.

Extra: On 10.7 or 10.8 just hold down the 'option' key while click on the Finder's menu item 'Go' and select the 'Library' symbol to get your Home folder.

3. jgere thread starter macrumors newbie

4. zbackman macrumors newbie

did not work for me!

This just started a day ago, with the finder leaping into the middle of my programs and refreshing screens and seem to happen within 2 seconds of a minute each time.

as in 11:00:10
    11:01:12
    11:02:15
    11:03:18

I trashed the finder plist and restarted
    I have reset the SMC
    run and repair disk permissions
    run diskwarrior and rebuilt whatever it rebuilds

ran cleanmymac

Next?