Finder being really annoying?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by prmccarron, Mar 17, 2010.

1. prmccarron macrumors regular

prmccarron

Okay, so someone in my family got me iLife 08 because they knew it would work on my old G4, but didn't know iMovie wouldn't work. I looked up and found how to get it to work at http://www.stilltruth.com/2008/running-imovie-08-a-g4-mac and got to step 3. I edited the .dist file, but it won't let me save it. So I went to the file's permissions and that folder's permissions, but they were already set to allow me to use them. The strange thing is that the options are grayed out, so I can change who owns it and stuff but not what permission they have, even if I enter the password. No matter how hard I try to change permissions it just gives me "The operation could not be completed. An unexpected error occurred (error code 195)." Am I doing something wrong? Pleeaase reply.
    THX

UPDATE: After closing everything and reopening, everything says it belongs to system and when I choose my account from the drop down list, it just says that stupid error message again.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

3. prmccarron thread starter macrumors regular

prmccarron

No offense, but can people just answer the question? Obviously if I'm posting this I want 08. I hate HD but love 08.
    Don't ask why, either. I have reasons and I just want to know.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Did you create the disk image as per the instructions? It may be read only. Try copying the installer to your desktop and editing the file. Right click on the installer once copied and choose the view contents option.