Finder Broken?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Yr Blues, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I hear a lot of tech-pundits gripe that Finder is useless or broken. How would you improve finder?

I dislike the fact that I have to open several finder windows to move things around. It's a bit cumbersome. After a session on my mac, I usually have to go around cleaning up all of the open finder windows.

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Yeah I find the same problem really.

If you need to copy things you do need to make the windows go all over the place.

It's even more frustrating when you try to drag and drop a file/folder and the window you need is underneath another Finder window.

3. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I hate that you can't right-click in a Finder and create a new Text File. That's one of those features that I actually like in Windows.

5. kolax macrumors G3

Don't get what you mean - do you have every folder to open in a new Finder window? To move things around in Finder - try using the Path Bar, found in the View menu.

6. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Just so everyone knows, the path bar is a Leopard-only feature. It might help some of the frustrations you've been experiencing.

7. kunze50 macrumors regular

Dragging files around

I agree about having more than one window needing to be open sometimes; but dragging files over sidebar items and folders, without dropping, does help a lot. One thing that could work better is that when an app is active, dragging a file over a HD (or any other folder), does open a finder window, but does not open it in front of the active application. Using expose doesn't help while dragging; it doesn't show a finder window, but some weird un-highlighted box where the window should be. I'm not sure if it has always been this way. I am using 10.5.5.