Finder bug fixed in 10.5.7? Here's how to test...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RemarkabLee, May 14, 2009.

1. RemarkabLee macrumors 6502a

Found this (possible) bug in a clean install of 10.5.6 via 2009 Mac Pro restore discs:

Open a text document in Text Edit, then in Finder, use the 'Go' menu and choose 'Go to folder'. A small dialog box will open where you would normally enter the path of the folder you want to navigate to. Now in Text Edit, click and drag the document icon at the top of the window next to the document name and drag it onto the 'Go to folder' dialog box. On my machine at least, this causes Finder to crash.

Does the same behaviour exhibit itself on your machine? If so what version of Leopard are you using?

Thanks.

L.

PS. Not using a Mac right now so I may have gotten the names slightly wrong.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

doesnt crash for me in 10.5.7 although it makes by menu bar go weird. but why would you want to drag in a document? you cant open it like that from Go to Folder.

Untitled.png

3. RemarkabLee thread starter macrumors 6502a

So it would allow me to quickly open the folder where said document was located. Easier that opening a new Finder window and navigating manually. If the 'Go to Folder' function does not allow this, fair enough but it shouldn't crash Finder. What do you mean by weird (screen shot?). I suppose weird is an improvement over a crash :)

Thanks for testing by the way.

Anyone else?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

added a pic. when you drag in the document icon it just adds in what is in the text file.

5. Ploki macrumors 68010

same here. and finder doesnt go wierd either..
    just the whole document is copied into the "Go to folder..." box

6. RemarkabLee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Are you using 10.5.7 or 10.5.6?

7. RemarkabLee thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see. I would have thought the pathname would be added to the box, which seems to make more sense...

Again, better than a crash! Cheers.

8. RemarkabLee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Used the Combo update to 10.5.7 on my machine that has only just been restored from the shipping discs (10.5.6) and I still get the Finder to crash everytime...

I guess I'll submit the crash reports to Apple.... :rolleyes:

9. ihabime macrumors 6502

Are you sure you are dragging the little icon from the title bar, next to the document name, Apple calls it the proxy icon.

It should produce the path to the document when dragged onto any text box, that's what it does when dragged to another textedit window or terminal.

I can't test it on the go to folder window since I'm on 10.4 and that seems to block it entirely.

10. Sayer macrumors 6502a

Sayer

Hold down the Command key and click on the title of the document. That will open a menu with the folders containing the document that you can then select.

11. RemarkabLee thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's good a work around, thanks.

Interested to know if anyone else is seeing Finder crash using my original technique.

@ihabime - Proxy, that's it - thanks!

12. Ploki macrumors 68010

i wilw try later on my mbp i still have 10.5.6 there