finder can't be opened 10810

Discussion in 'macOS' started by camvill, Feb 17, 2011.

1. camvill macrumors newbie

Hi guys! I am pretty much a noob so I don't understand why i suddenly can't open my finder.

I have a Macbook Pro and I am not really sure what version of SNow Leopard I was running when I updated my software as I wasn't really able to monitor the updates. All I did was to simply hit the 'Software Update' under the apple icon on the upper left side of the screen and then I stepped out. When I came back and my computer was rebooted I noticed that some programs on my dock such as itunes has changed icon, so I guess itunes was updated. Problem is, all programs that has changed icon, hence, was probably updated would not launch. And some sections in the System Preferences such as Desktop & Screensaver also wouldnt launch. Some programs, such as firefox, would open but for a few minutes but would eventually crash.

And yeah, I keep on getting the "Finder can't be opened 10810" and "Finder quit unexpectedly". I would take a screenshot of those but my desktop also does not contain anything.

I tried typing /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/MacOS/Finder & but I get this result:

Library not loaded: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DataDetectorsCore.framework/Versions/A/DataDetectorsCore
    Referenced from: /System/Library/Frameworks/Quartz.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/PDFKit.framework/Versions/A/PDFKit
    Reason: no suitable image found. Did find:
    /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DataDetectorsCore.framework/Versions/A/DataDetectorsCore: open() failed with errno=-22

I also tried using the disk utility but I get the message "Disk Utility can't be opened because of a problem: Check with the developer to make sure Disk Utility works with this version of Mac OS X"

As much as possible I would not like to reformat because of the programs already installed on my Mac and my bootcamp.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

First of all, you are not facing a reformat over this. Have you considered an "archive and install?" It should restore OS X to whatever version DVD you have lying around and you have to sit through a combo update afterwards but it shouldn't touch your user files or affect bootcamp. It's a brute force solution that doesn't require finding the root cause of the finder issue, should not damage your files, but "should" fix your finder issue.