Finder changes in Mavericks - help please

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by pavinder, Nov 6, 2013.

1. pavinder, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

pavinder macrumors member

Just upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mavericks and am already ripping my hair out over Finder issues.

Many things have changed and I can't find help in preferences or web searches.

The main 2 issues are:

1. If I'm in another app and click on the desktop, the app switches to Finder but the windows no longer are brought to the front. How can I restore this as my default behaviour?

2. If I do a search in Finder and click on a document name in the results, I am (as in Snow Leopard) shown the path to that file at the bottom of the window. But not for folders!
    If I click on a folder name in the search results I am not shown the path to that folder. So with multiple folders with identical names, I have no idea which folder I'm looking at.
    The menu option: View > Show Path Bar is greyed out.

Could someone please let me know how to regain this functionality.

Thanks in advance.

2. xylitol, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

xylitol macrumors regular

1. Click Finder icon in the Dock instead. I don't know how else "Bring All to Front" (Finder menu/Window) could be made default.

2. I'm shown the path of folders only if I've selected either Icon or List view, not Column or Cover Flow view. I have no idea if that can be changed.

3. pavinder thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply.

Hopefully I'll find a way to retrieve the "Finder windows to front" as default.

4. xylitol macrumors regular

Isn't the Finder Icon in the Dock generally more accessible than the desktop, say if you need to bring Finder windows in front of a full-sized window? I would learn to click that. But we are not talking about me.:cool:

5. pavinder thread starter macrumors member

My screen always has large areas of desktop visible behind/around the windows.
    It's therefore very quick and easy to click on a large area of desktop close to wherever the cursor is.

For me, clicking an icon involves moving the cursor down to the bottom of screen, waiting for the (hidden) dock to spring open and then finding the small finder icon in the dock.

If it was only an occasional thing it would be no problem, but it's an incredible hassle when one is doing it hundreds of times a day, and especially when one is flipping back and forth between the Finder and other apps every few seconds. :mad::mad::mad:

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Even outside of that issue I suggest getting in the habit of using Command-Tab to switch between things. Not only is it faster than the mouse, it will be faster for ANY app you switch to, not just the Finder.

It's a good way work, regardless. The fact that it will solve your Finder-windows problem is just icing on the cake.

7. pavinder thread starter macrumors member

Good point, SWC. I already use that when I have lots of apps and windows open, it's very useful.

It will obviously take longer to loop through to the finder app and get the windows up than a single mouse click, but will definitely work as a substitute in the absence of any other solution. Thanks.