Finder completely stuffed

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dawnraid, Mar 19, 2009.

1. dawnraid macrumors regular

Hey, long time user of apple's OS's (since os 7) anyway basically this is the first time anything like this has happened, Finder will not launch or appear not matter what I do, I have repaired permissions, verified my disk.... all the usual, nothing is working at getting finder back, in the dock it claims its running (little blue light underneath the logo) and relaunching it via force quit does not bring it back.
    This is happening in multiple user accounts, so unless any one else has any ideas Im backing up a new time machine and im about to reformat.

Cheers

2. RoninXI macrumors regular

If you haven't already you should try an archive and install, after making a backup of your files just in case. You would keep everything but a few system wide preferences and a few programs with installers may need to be reinstalled. Otherwise like nothing happened. You could also in the install choose to use the time machine backup but it may have what is wrong with your system in it.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You can try deleting the Finder preference file (~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist), though I realize you did say it was happening for all accounts.

Also, what happens when you go File > New Finder Window? Does anything happen? Also, when you do that check in Console (/Applications/Utilities/Console) when you do that to see if any error messages show up. If so post them here and maybe people can further help. Also keep an eye on Console when you try to restart Finder.

4. dawnraid thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I just copied a few thing out that look like they could have something to do with it.

20/03/09 9:03:04 AM [0x0-0x3f03f].com.apple.systemuiserver[441] SystemUIServer[441]: [WSX] Will not load into com.apple.systemuiserver as the hard coded exclude list says no.
    20/03/09 9:03:04 AM com.apple.quicklook[443] quicklookd[443]: [WSX] Will not load into com.apple.QuickLookDaemon as the hard coded exclude list says no.
    20/03/09 9:03:05 AM /System/Library/CoreServices/coreservicesd[101] SFLSharePointsEntry::CreateDSRecord: dsCreateRecordAndOpen(Desktop) returned -14135
    20/03/09 9:04:31 AM [0x0-0x44044].com.apple.Safari[448] Debugger() was called!
    20/03/09 9:06:18 AM /usr/sbin/ocspd[452] starting
    20/03/09 9:07:05 AM loginwindow[415] Unable to resolve startup item: status = -35, theURL == NULL = 1
    20/03/09 9:07:05 AM loginwindow[415] Unable to lauch startup item: (null)
    20/03/09 9:08:41 AM /Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari[448] CPSGetFrontProcess(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I tried using some of the log to find out something, but didn't turn up much. Do you happen to have a program called WindowShade installed or CHAX? Ran across those when looking around. Also check out this thread as it has a potential solution.

6. dawnraid thread starter macrumors regular

Yeh I should have come back and read the forums before I reformatted, oh well, (I did have windowshades installed, and I should have tried the divx terminal command). Meh atleast it boots 50% quicker now, thanks for all you help.

Cheers.