Finder - Copy and ignore duplicate?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by fredou, Jul 24, 2011.

1. fredou macrumors newbie

There is any way to ignore duplicate files when I copy with the finder, let's say 200 files and some already exist at the destination? Finder propose me with only, Duplicate, Stop, Overwrite options. How about simply ignoring duplicate? Because I would find Ignore a lot more useful then Stop.

Thanks!

2. APtalent macrumors regular

Just click on skip and check the 'do this for all,' OOPS.

forgot you're on OS X.

;)

3. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Your choice is Overwrite.

Now, what you're asking for is a feature Windows 7 does and does very well. Mac OS does not.

4. Jayratch macrumors newbie

Oi. Actually this is a feature that Snow Leopard did just fine. Lion promised to do it better, and instead we get this. I'm very confused.

Under Snow Leopard, if I copied files labeled A.jpg through Z.jpg into a folder that contained C, J, M, and Q .jpg, I would be asked what to do when it got to C, and I would have an option to skip it, and then I would be asked again at J, etc. In Windows it would do the same, and would do it even for files within folders at the top level of the dragged set.

When Lion was announced and promoted, it was stated that it would gain the Windows-style functionality, with the ability to merge folders all the way down. Instead, we are greeted by the polar opposite: an Abort, Retry, Fail? style process that belongs back before 1984.