Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mckamey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Ever since I installed Lion yesterday I've had my CPU cores basically pegged. Initially, I attributed it to the Spotlight re-indexing that happens right after install. Now that is done and my 4 CPU cores are still pegged and my fan is constantly going. This is on a 15-inch MBP mid-2010 model.

Looking at the Activity Monitor it seems to affect any app that I've recently used but Finder is always at the top of the list using >100%. If I quit any of those apps and restart them, they start off around 20% and then slowly begin using more and more CPU until they settle out around 100%.

Simple things like clicking a menu can have a delay of a second or two, whereas in Snow Leopard it was instantaneous.

Anyone else experiencing this? Have you found a solution?

Last edited:

mckamey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
Rebooting works similarly to killing off all the apps - they start off fine and within a few minutes build up to pegging the CPU again.

I've also scanned through all of the login items to make sure nothing out of the ordinary gets started at startup.

Ever since I installed Lion yesterday I've had my CPU cores basically pegged. Initially, I attributed it to the Spotlight re-indexing that happens right after install. Now that is done and my 4 CPU cores are still pegged and my fan is constantly going. This is on a 15-inch MBP mid-2010 model.

Looking at the Activity Monitor it seems to affect any app that I've recently used but Finder is always at the top of the list using >100%. If I quit any of those apps and restart them, they start off around 20% and then slowly begin using more and more CPU until they settle out around 100%.

Simple things like clicking a menu can have a delay of a second or two, whereas in Snow Leopard it was instantaneous.

yahoohoo

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011

I have the same problem if I start Finder with ``All My Files''.

mckamey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
I haven't used the "All My Files" view yet, but that makes sense at least why it would have similar effects as it is actually performing work.

The issue I was describing isn't isolated to the Finder, it was just most consistent with Finder. I experience it also with Google Chrome and Microsoft Outlook 2011 which Finder-specific operations shouldn't affect.

Last night I did a complete Shutdown (rather than just Log Out or Restart) and left it off all night. This morning I've been running fine for the last hour (which is way longer than I had gone before). So perhaps there was some additional cleanup required which only gets performed on a full Shutdown?

I have the same problem if I start Finder with ``All My Files''.

felixelgato

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2008
MEXICO
Same here

Even after the index has finished, suddenly, Finder begin to consume 100% in conjucttion with other applications. I have more tan a week working with Lion, I did a clean install of it.

sassvideo

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2008
CPU going through the roof

I've had the exact same problem. A couple of Apps, including the Finder are running at over 100% CPU (from the Activity Monitor). Restarting the Finder temporarily lowers the Finder usage, but it eventually gets back up to over a hundred. Other apps i.e. Final Cut 7 and Mail - while sitting and doing no processing at all - are both running at over 125% CPU. What's going on?

I did a clean install of Lion.

spidey3

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
Check to make sure that you don't have any old / incompatible plugins in /Library/Internet Plug-Ins directory. Surprisingly, I have found that Finder makes use of these in some cases - I am guessing for quick-look or to render thumbnails...

Spidey!!!

MacRum2011

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2011
i upgraded to lion and didn't clean install and I just tried it and mine goes to around 43% CPU. This is a April 2008 iMac 8,1.

Last edited:

mckamey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2011
This is still an issue for me. Only thing that seems to stop it is to force quit the Finder but that only helps temporarily. I've tried spidey3's suggestion but I tend to not install plug-ins.

Anyone else have a work around for this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.