Finder Crash loop PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TraumaTurtle, Sep 14, 2011.

1. TraumaTurtle macrumors newbie

I was cleaning out my applications folder when all of a sudden my Finder icon starts jumping up and down on my dock and I get a popup saying. I noticed it after downloading the EVERNOTE program.

"The application "Finder" unexpectedly quit while trying to restore its windows. Do you want to try and restore its windows again?"

Not 1 milisecond after I click either "Don't restore windows" or "Restore windows", Finder crashes and gives me the same pop up. It's very frustrating. Even I don't click anything, it just keeps jumping and keeps giving me the same message.

I can't open any folders or anything, though I can launch applications from Spotlight.

I did a little googling and saw something about "StuffIt" causing this issue, but I don't have stuffit installed

When I make another user in the User Accounts, it doesn't seem to happen to my new user.

What do I do guys? I've read that I need to delete a com.apple.finder.plist files, but how do I do that if I can't open the window to do so. I've also heard that I can empty the trash and solve the problem. however, when/if I am able to get the command off in between the error popping up, the trash empties and fills right back up a split second later.

Please help!

Thanks.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

have you tried repairing permissions or the disk?

3. TraumaTurtle thread starter macrumors newbie

I have actually and it the problem still exists.

After one of my multiple system restarts there has been a slight change in the situation. Now, the window no longer pops up asking if I want to restore the windows. However, the trash icon keeps pulsating from full/empty/full/empty. Also, I can click on my hard rive icon on the desktop and it will open for a second, then close (like it's crashed).

So although the perpetual pop-up window has stopped, Its still having the same end result.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Call AppleCare about this. Just about everybody who upgraded to Lion gets 90 days AppleCare. Yes they will need your serial number. No it won't matter if your Mac is 4 years old or if you never had AppleCare or if you cracked open your Mac and installed an SSD or 4 terabytes of RAM. What matters is that you bought Lion in the Mac App Store.

6. heydesign macrumors newbie

Solution for flashing finder

While adding another account works to stop the finder flashing, it was not an option as I didn't want to have to reset and reload everything from my main 'flashing' account. After much reading and many suggestions that did not work the following finally did.

NOTE: This flashing started when I downloaded the latest software update 10.7.4. but I see it seems to happen randomly when doing other things.
    I think Apple has dropped the ball. Lion has been atrociously glitchy.

SOLUTION:
    1. Chances are that you can't use finder to drag anything into folders. If this is the case go to Apple/System Preferences/Users & Groups and create another temporary account with administrative access. Log out of the 'flashing' account and into the temp account.

2. In safari to http://www.titanium.free.fr/download.php and download the Maintenance software for your version of Lion.

3. Open it, drag the 'maintenance' file to your applications/utilities folder. Double click to open the program and run the default tests.

4. On completion restart the computer and log back in to the 'flashing' account, which by now should be fixed.

This did it for me. Its a pain so I hope this info helps other people who may be affected.