Finder Crash Relaunch Loop

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by itisme1760, Jan 18, 2012.

1. itisme1760, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

itisme1760 macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I am having a big problem with my Mac. Upon boot and login, the finder will crash and try to relaunch repeatedly. The icon in the dock keeps bouncing with a window that pops up,

"Restore Windows, The application Finder unexpectedly quit while trying to restore its windows. Do you want to try to restore its windows again?"

I can't click yes or no because the window flashes too quickly.

My desktop is blank because of this but I can still access applications on my dock, terminal and spotlight. I can't get into my files through the Finder however. How can I fix this looping crash?

I've done a google search for solutions but haven't found any good solution to fix this. It all required deleted some file in the Library through Terminal or something but it doesn't seem to make it go away.

My last resort is to save a backup and reformat Lion but I don't want to do that quite yet.

Any takers?

OH and one thing. The last thing I did before this happened was that I was on the Bootcamp side of things, moved a file from the Mac partition to the Windows Partition in Bootcamp opened the file, then deleted it in Windows. Not sure if this is why this is happening. I used Terminal to move all my desktop files to a folder in Documents, and this worked for a short period of time until I moved any file back to my desktop, it would crash and loop again.

2. itisme1760 thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually, just fixed it after hours of throwing random solutions at it. Not quite sure what fixed it, but I think the culprit was the hidden .DS_Store file on my Desktop. I rm -rf it and rebooted and it seems to be working fine now.

3. musicman1984 macrumors newbie

how did you remove this

I am having the same problem, how do I remove this