Finder Crashes, Desktop disappears briefly, help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adamsplice, Jul 17, 2008.

1. adamsplice macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Hope someone can help, ive been through all forums i could find on this issue but nothing has helped so far.

When i try and copy any file to any destination OR try and preview a media file in finder, the finder window disappears (along with any other applications open) and all desktop icons disappear for about 7 seconds then the desktop reappears. Along with this i cannot eject any drives once connected 'cause they say they are 'in use', this also goes for cds/dvds.

This is what the console says each time this happens:

2008-07-17 10:39:05.208 Finder[327] CFLog (0):
    CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): plist parse failed; the data is not proper UTF-8. The file name for this data could be:
    (UNKNOWN)
    The parser will retry as in 10.2, but the problem should be corrected in the plist.
    Jul 17 10:39:12 ADAMSKIS-POWERBOOK crashdump[393]: Finder crashed
    Jul 17 10:39:16 ADAMSKIS-POWERBOOK crashdump[393]: crash report written to: /Users/adamdolniak/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Finder.crash.log

Please help !!
    Thanks

2. BrownPlopz macrumors regular

Hmmm... I honestly have no clue why that could be happening... My only advice to you would be that you take book an appointment with the Genius Bar at your local Apple Retail Store and get the Apple Geniuses to diagnose it. PS, could you possibly provide us with some more info about your system? Like which OS, what model, amount of RAM, etc? I'm not sure if that's gonna help me, but maybe someone else can figure something out with than info.

3. adamsplice thread starter macrumors newbie

im worried i might need to do a reinstall but i cant back up any of my media because it wont copy anything :(

its a powerbook 1.67Ghz, G4
    512 MB DDR2 SDRAM
    os x 10.4.11