Finder crashes on log in

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Beachguy, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Beachguy macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

MBP, June 2012, I-7 (see my sig for details)

Current on fixes, 10.8.2

A few days ago I was running Google Chrome Canary, and it crashed. No big shock there. But since then, I am having trouble getting back to the desktop if I reboot. I thought I had it back to normal a few days ago when I finally booted to the desktop and all worked well, but I needed to reboot this evening and suddenly it was back to starting up, signing in, and Finder crashing before I could do anything. Here is the sequence:

System boots.
    I give my password.
    It seems to accept it to start, but then the screen gets brighter, flashes, and the password screen is there again.
    Enter password.
    Starts to desktop, sometimes with Finder's bar at the top of the screen, sometimes not.
    After a few moments, I get an error message saying Finder quit unexpectedly, and asks if I want to reopen, report, or ignore. Usually I cannot click ANY of the buttons, but sometimes I can.
    If I try to start an application, the screen flashed, goes black, and gives me the dock but no Finder menu.

I've booted to single mode, and /sbin/fask -fy says all is fine, although one time it deleted stuff (166 files, a dozen directories, and something else I don't recall.) Nothing changed in the operation.

I renamed the Chrome Canary directory just in case that was the problem. Nothing changed.

If this was a Windows machine, I'd have lots of ideas, but I am not as deep in OS X.

Ideas?

2. Beachguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Beachguy

Never mind- turned out I had a corrupted piece of software that was causing it. I booted into safe mode and in between a LOT of error messages I caught a reference to that software nor starting.

3. angelosgc macrumors newbie

Hi could you help me please?

Hi there,

I have been having a similar problem to your, i think!
    To explain:
    I am using OS Lion
    When the mac boots, there is a message that says "Finder quit unexpectedly" and no matter how many times I send report to apple or ignore, it pops up again and I can't open the finder whatsoever!
    Can you tell me ow you fixed yours - got to find the corrupt files i mean etc, as I have no idea how to do it?

Thank you very much