Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wernerdev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Hello,

I have a very strange problem. I have 3 Macs. All worked fine with SMB shares. Until a few days ago. My newest iMac won't connect to my SMB server share anymore.

It shows up in the Finder Shared section. When I try to connect it just keeps "Connecting...". When I press "Connect As..." it does show the login window, but when I fill in my login info and press Connect it just freezes the Finder window. It becomes totally unresponsive and get's drawn improperly. I will have to restart Finder using "killall Finder" using the Terminal.

If I try to navigate to the Network section in Finder, it just freezes again. I will have to reboot my iMac to acces the Network section again.

When trying to connect to the server manually using "smb://192.168.1.110" it says: There was an error connecting to the server. Check the server name or IP address and try again. If you are unable to resolve the problem contact your system administrator.
But I can ping the server using the Terminal, so the connections are not blocked completely.

First I suspected the server. So I tried connecting to it using my other Macs. It worked perfectly on those. So it's clearly some problem on that iMac.
Workgroups are all the same.

Is there some way to reset the iMac's sharing settings? Does it keep a cache or something?
I cleaned the Mac using Onyx and CleanMyMac. But nothing helped.

Also searched the internet on similar problems, but nothing exactly like this.
I hope someone can help me.

joecapero

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2011
dropbox update

Updating dropbox to the most recent, stable version and then rebooting Finder fixed this for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.