Finder crashing on startup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by airplaneman, Sep 28, 2009.

1. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

It takes me multiple tries to get it to work. It literally took me 10 minutes this time! It started this morning, so I rebooted, and it happened again. I rebooted just now to see how it was and the same thing happened. I'm running 10.6.1. What's going on?:confused: It's quite frustrating:mad:.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Did you try permissions repair? Try creating a new user and see if the same problem happens in the new account as well.

3. airplaneman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks.:cool: I'll try repairing permissions and report on that. If I create a new account, will I be able to delete it totally without any stray files? (I need the space on my HD:) )

4. celticpride678

Yes.

5. airplaneman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks.

Disk Permissions repair has finished, as follows:

Repairing permissions for “MacTop”
    Permissions differ on "private/etc/postfix/main.cf.default", should be -rw-r--r-- , they are -r--r--r-- .
    Repaired "private/etc/postfix/main.cf.default".
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions repair complete

How does that look?:confused:

Anyway, I'm restarting now to see if the repair fixed it.

6. airplaneman thread starter macrumors 6502a

It works... if I wait a few minutes. This is frustrating.:mad:

7. airplaneman thread starter macrumors 6502a

The above keeps happening during permissions repair. Startup is a pain. Does it have something to do with iStat (version 2.0) on SL?

8. airplaneman thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, I created another account and it worked. It works on restarts. Just not cold boots. It worked only once on my account before reverting to the old problem. iStat is not an issue-Finder was still glitchy after uninstalling it. What are my options from here? Should I try booting in 64bit? I'm afraid to reboot right now because it takes forever for Finder to work.

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Try this though this is a stretch. If your new account is fine, in your old account go to:

Useraccount/Library/Preferences/ and find the file com.apple.finder.plist and toss it into the trash bin and restart. See if that helps the problem.

10. airplaneman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will try.:) Thanks!:D BTW, restarts are fine, but cold boots aren't.:confused:

Uhh.. where exactly is this located?

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

On the dock, click on Finder. It should open a window that displays folders from your user account (the title bar/top of window should have your name with a house). Double-click on the Library folder and then the Preferences folder and com.apple.finder.plist should be there, just drag it to your trash and then restart the computer.

12. airplaneman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Will do! What exactly does it do? Thanks!!!:D

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It just "refreshes" the file. Finder being non-responsive could be because of that file being bad or corrupted so by deleting and restarting your computer, it recreates the file.

14. airplaneman thread starter macrumors 6502a

It didn't work:mad:. It took me 10 minutes just to get my computer to work. Could it be iStat that's causing the problem? I restarted iStatLocalDaemon about 10 times (no exaggeration here) and Finder miraculously began working. I have gotten this error message a couple times:

The application Finder.app can't be opened.

:confused:

BTW, I haven't heard the startup chime the past few startups...?

15. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Are you using Time Machine or any external HDD's or is it just the MacBook Pro?

16. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Do you also got warnings about too many processes?

I had a series of problems where I couldn't open applications and it would sometimes bring up that error, in the end a fresh install sorted it out. There were a couple of things that sort the problem however only very briefly. A reboot would allow me to use some applications but then the system would get into a state where it would bring that error up rather than the applications. I guess yours is worse as it is bringing down Finder as well.

For me the problem started after a kernel panic, have you had any crashes before this? System power failures? Are there any messages in your console/crash log that you can access?

You could try reapplying the latest update, didn't work in the long run for me but always worth a shot.

17. airplaneman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I use Time Machine, but my MBP does this regardless of whether or not the external is plugged in.

18. airplaneman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see. I don't think I'm getting to many processes, but Activity Monitor (when Finder is crashing) shows that very little memory is being used (~500MB). Typical memory usage after a startup is ~800MB. I've had no problems with my MBP until now.

My crash log is clear.

19. manu2107 macrumors newbie

Fantastic! deleted the com.apple.finder.plist file (in Terminal) and everything works again! The nightmare is over ... :)

Manuel