Finder crashing with external drive attached.

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Tony9510, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Tony9510 macrumors newbie

Hi have had my Macbook Pro (i5 early 2011) a month now and its crashed about 8-9 times, its happened when trying to eject my external hard drive, moving files on the drive, or yesterday when I tried to do a disk verify, the drive won't eject, so I tried a relaunch on finder, then finder disappears completely although everything else continues to work, I can access the Dock and utilities, Finder doesn't show up in Activity monitor. I have no choice but to do a hard restart. I thought it was the external drive as I had it partioned to MS-DOS and exfat but I just did a format and now its HFS with an exfat partition. Anyone any ideas? is it my Macbook, Lion or the drive you think?

2. nwendel macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I'm having the exact same problem, except that sometimes it will happen even when I am doing nothing with the external drive, although mounted. I don't know that it's Lion, but I didn't get this problem until after I upgraded.

I'll just wake up in the morning or, even just, switch from my browser to get at Finder for something, and get the spinning wheel without any sign of stopping as soon as I try to do anything with the drive. Unnverving ability of everything else to continue working, but being cornered into a hard restart despite trying to relaunch Finder, just like the OP described.

I think it has started happening more frequently. It's freaking me out as I really can't afford anything to get screwed up on all these hard restarts, backups or not. I mean, my Time Machine for the boot disk is one of the partitions on the drive in question.