finder : ctrl+c, ctrl+x & ctrl+v

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pribl, Apr 24, 2011.

1. pribl macrumors member

how can make in finder operations so useful in windows explorer: copy, cut & paste

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

cmd+c and cmd+v work just fine, although I dont know that cut does

3. Pracht macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes, cmd-x is cut.

I'm not sure if it works however on folders and files. It's good for just text, images, etc.

4. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

5. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

It doesn't work on folders and files. I got so frustrated with it that I went back to using the command line interface, that is for file management which involved moving files from one location to the other.

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Mac OS isn't Microsoft Windows so it's best to adopt the Mac ways. Learn to use "drag and drop" which is implemented much better in Mac OS than Microsoft Windows. Folders spring open which helps navigating to the destination, however you can also drag to the desktop and then drag from the desktop to the destination. If you are moving a group of files, they will stay grouped on the desktop and don't have to be reselected.

7. pribl thread starter macrumors member

there is no buttons in finder to copy, cut & paste! :( I can not find them ! where they are ?

8. Phayz macrumors member

You can find them in the "edit" menu in Finder. OS X doesn't allow you to "Cut & Paste" files, however, so the Cut option may be greyed out.

If you want to move files, best way is to drag them or CMD+drag them to move to another drive

9. simsaladimbamba