Finder Cut and Paste Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by HyperX13, Sep 26, 2009.

1. HyperX13 macrumors 6502

Guys

I used a cool app called filecutter to cut and paste files (move them). Snow leopard broke the app. I can no longer right click on file and see the filecutter option. I guess path finder has the ability, but I do not need all the extra stuff it comes with.

What do you use to cut and paste files in finder?

2. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Snow Leopard, sadly, ended support for contextual menus. The thinking is/was, I believe, that the functionality can be replaced with Services.

You could create an Automator workflow that moves a file out of one folder and into a holding folder (for the cut) and then moves the file out of that holding folder into the new folder.

The trouble will be that the Move Finder Items action is really a Copy Finder Items action. You'll need to move the file into the trash, twice.

mt

3. jebus197 macrumors newbie

OK, but can anyone explain the exact steps to do this? I've never used automator before.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

5. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Why is it so difficult for people to learn a different way of doing things?

Why not just open two windows, source and destination, and drag the file or files from the source folder window to the destination folder window. If the source and destination files are on different volumes, hold down the "Command" key so the source file is deleted after it is copied to the destination.

This method is not hard and is not much, if at all, slower. It is the method I always use on Windows-based systems.

S-

6. coolbits macrumors member

What copy/paste? Thats windows way of working with files...
    Mac way is drag&drop anywhere...

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Do we really need another thread discussing the merits of cutting/pasting in finder. There is a long running thread about this already.

To the OP, try using pathfinder that also provides cut/paste for files.

8. fishrivers214 macrumors newbie

drag and drop too much work

With respect to people who prefer drag and drop...

It's simply too many more mice clicks, ie. inefficient. Sure I can go to my destination open that window, resize it, cue it up next to my source folder then drag across... but why? It takes about half as many clicks to simply take an item (from where I am), go to my destination and drop it. Maybe I don't want to open extra windows, then click to close them afterwards. It is absolute a defenseless oversight not to give the user this option of cut and paste in the finder window. I can never be talked down. I've used Macs for 15 years and windows for 4 years. I love Macs in most ways but hate in this regard. When I have a large folder clean up project to do or manual back up project this missing feature is a huge annoyance.

9. coolbits macrumors member

What about drag to desktop (copy), go to other folder and drag inside (paste)?
    No need to complicate things... ;)

10. rerelease macrumors regular

Mouseover on folders or external drives to open them immediately without losing your drag focus.

I drag and drop using a single click only.

11. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Just an addendum to the Kempinger script (nice find, BTW), since it was written pre SL, the script can be used from within Automator, which then can be saved as a Service, which can then be given a keystroke, all without needed extra software.

mt

12. Fisslefink macrumors newbie

Elegant solution using applescript, Automator, and Services

I just wanted to update this thread with a solution that worked for me...

After considering everything on this thread, and taking a look at Kempinger's script, I opted for remix33's very elegant solution posted later on the same thread, about a month later.

Remix33's solution took me about 3 minutes to set it up, and works seamlessly with no additional software. I now have keyboard shortcuts tied to Cut (Shift+Cmd+X) and paste (Shift+Cmd+V) in Finder. Best of all, the cut file is not moved unless you paste, which greatly reduces the chance of data loss.

Kudos to remix33 for the best solution yet.

Check it out:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9396175&postcount=30

- Fisslefink

13. bogdansrc macrumors newbie

moveAddict

You can use moveAddict to cut and paste files, a new Snow Leopard-only application. You can use CMD+X and CMD+V as your keyboard shortcuts, files don't move before you paste, you can merge folders and more.

You can get it at http://kapeli.com

14. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I only heard about this bone-headed decision a few months ago. Glad I haven't made the upgrade!

No, it's cut and paste they miss. Mac OS can do copy and paste.

No, that's move. Option-drag to the Desktop is copy.

15. johnwesley49 macrumors newbie

No Copy/paste from web site graphics???

I am unable to copy & paste jpg graphics from web based pages. However, if i use a wireless usb mouse, them I can right click no problem and copy/paste?? Why can't I do this just using apple track-pad?
    Tks for your help people.

16. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Since your question is a variation of the topic title, you might be better off starting a new thread with a title that's specific to your question.