Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
St. John's, NL
Is there anyway that I can remove these from the doc? It seems sort of redundent to have them there if I can use F11 or F12 to access them easier and quicker.

cheers
Trevor

shu82

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2007
Rocket City, AL
Is there anyway that I can remove these from the doc? It seems sort of redundent to have them there if I can use F11 or F12 to access them easier and quicker.

cheers
Trevor

Shouldnt you be able to drag them out like any other dock icon? I believe I did this with dashboard at least.

trev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
St. John's, NL
yeah, maybe you can, but I want to make sure that it is doable before I go ahead and do it. and once I do do it, get them back if I find I need them. Since you did it with dashboard, does the icon come back when you open up dashboard? Like programs do that aren't on your doc, but you open them in your applications folder.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
yeah, maybe you can, but I want to make sure that it is doable before I go ahead and do it. and once I do do it, get them back if I find I need them. Since you did it with dashboard, does the icon come back when you open up dashboard? Like programs do that aren't on your doc, but you open them in your applications folder.

No, the dashboard icon does not reappear in the dock every time you hit F12. Removing it from the dock has no impact on the usability of dashboard. If you wanted to put it back you could drag it there from your applications folder.

Not sure if you can remove the Finder dock icon though

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The Dashboard is a child of the Dock process. The icon in the Dock doesn't come back when you drop the Dashboard down again. You can find the Dashboard in /Applications if you want to put it back onto your Dock again.

It might take a bit of work to remove the Finder icon though.

trev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
St. John's, NL
yeah, is there any 3rd party program out ther that lets you do more things with the doc? or would that program have to be constantly open with an extra icon on on the doc and thus defeating the purpose of removing the finder icon? lol.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
to my knowledge, the Finder icon cannot be removed from the dock. any attempts to do so will cause your computer to explode. well, maybe not explode. but i don't think it can be done.

the Dashboard is an interesting dock icon, because Dashboard isn't really an application just like Finder and Expose aren't really applications. that's why when you remove the Dashboard icon from your dock (simply by dragging it off) it still works (like when you press F12) and doesn't reappear on the right side of the dock like other non-permanent apps. to put the Dashboard back, simply drag it from your applications folder to the dock.

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
well transparentdock will take the finder out of the dock. I understand how they generated another alias for the finder but unsure how they patched the dock to make the change. also i think it is only for ppc computers. sorry can't help further.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
well transparentdock will take the finder out of the dock. I understand how they generated another alias for the finder but unsure how they patched the dock to make the change. also i think it is only for ppc computers. sorry can't help further.

Does this mean transparentdock can run under Rosetta? Or how does that work.

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
Benjamin, is this the most recent version of tansparent doc? doesn't seem to work with my osx (10.4.9)

Are you using a ShapeShifter theme or anyting else that modifies the dock? Transparent dock stoped working for me to, but I'm not sure if it was because of 10.4.9 or ShapeShifter. But anyways, whatever the problem is, ClearDock worked for me.

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
Does this mean transparentdock can run under Rosetta? Or how does that work.

It can run but the application i believe patches the dock binary itself which of course a intel mac wouldn't use.

Benjamin, is this the most recent version of tansparent doc? doesn't seem to work with my osx (10.4.9)

yes but judging by your post history, you have a macbook right? and this is a ppc only application it seems so I think you are SOL, sorry.

But anyways, whatever the problem is, ClearDock worked for me.

ClearDock removes the finder icon from the dock?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.