Finder Default View Options

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Chris.J, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Chris.J macrumors newbie

I'd like all my finder windows to appear the same when navigating through folders, but I'm noticing that finder is not always taking notice of the "set as defaults" button.

The way I've tried to do it is to open a finder window and push cmd+J. I prefer the list view, so I check the "always open in list" box, set the icon size and uncheck "icon preview". However, as I navigate deeper into folders, I notice some folders will no longer remember these and for example, will start to show the icon preview.

In Windows, I remember you used to set up a random window to appear exactly how you wanted it, enter folder options and hit "default view for all windows".

Am I doing something wrong?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

A little out of order there, but I'm assuming your last step is the first thing you mentioned; clicking Use as Defaults. Seems like you're doing it correctly. I've found the Show Icon Preview checkbox to be somewhat mysterious. For example, with it checked, my Word and Excel icons would flash their blue and green color, then go to gray. With SIP unchecked, the icons retain their colors. (OS 10.5.8)

3. Chris.J thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, sorry, I set all the options first and the "set as defaults" button becomes active and I click this once I'm happy.

In the Finder window, I like to have the file name, size and last modified date showing, but it won't ever remember these settings as I start to navigate deeper.

I know this is a bit obsessive, but I like to have things setup exactly how I use them, so I can work faster.

Could this just be a shortfall of Finder? (OS 10.6.5)

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

My understanding is that the settings for the enclosing folder should carry over to enclosed folders, unless those are manually set to be different. Since this is not working in your case, the next thing I'd try is replacing the finder's plist file. That's strictly a trial and error methodology, not a sure-fire solution.