Finder/desktop overrides any open window regularly

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ClydeVideo, Feb 11, 2009.

1. ClydeVideo macrumors newbie

Whether I am working with a particular program or am just looking at an open finder window: Every few minutes, the entire section of icons on desktop blink out and come back on with annoying results.

If I'm in a finder window at the time, it just automatically closes.

If I'm in a window of any program whatsoever, the finder shows up as the active program and I have to click on my open window of whatever program I was in to make it active again so I can continue working.

This is on a dual 2gig G5 with OS 10.4.11

I've already repaired preferences & done a virus scan.

Anyone else had this one and solved it? Suggestions?
    Thanks.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Try creating a new user account. Does the same thing happen there?

3. ClydeVideo thread starter macrumors newbie

Created new user account. The problem disappeared. All stable so far.

Now..how to fix this problem on my original account ???
    Thanks.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Installed any new software lately? If you go into the Accounts preference pane, what applications are listed under Login Items?

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Since you mentioned running 10.4.11, did this by chance start happening just after updating QuickTime to the latest version 7.6?:confused: If so you probably are suffering from a known incompatibility between that upgrade and at least a couple of System Preferences items that results in cyclic finder restarting.

So if you did just upgrade your QT, look in your System Preferences and see if you have a Preference pane called Stuffit AVR. If that exists, open it and set it to "Off" and your problem should disappear. That is a solution that was originally posted by someone over at the Apple Discussion lists and later the solution was mirrored in a thread here at MR.

I can also say that on another system that was brought to me, the problem was a PrefPane called "YepFolders"- disabling that in Startup Items took care of the problem.

6. ClydeVideo thread starter macrumors newbie

MAYBE i-tunes and other apple updates....but last one I recall seems to be some time before this problem showed up.

Startup items in problem account:
    N067U ButtonManager, N124U ButtonManager, Magic Menu, Archive Assistant Schedule, StuffitAVRDaemon, ITunes Helper, ShuttleProHelper, ContourShuttle Helper.

I DID AS sickmacdoc SUGGESTED AND TURNED OFF STUFFIT AVR IN PREFERENCES PANE AND NO MORE PROBLEM! !THANK YOU BOTH.

Only remaining questions is whether or not I should be concerned with the functionality that this item was supposed to provide.