Finder does not load/slow to load files in a folder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by punchbuggy, May 26, 2010.

1. punchbuggy macrumors newbie

Hi all, I have a problem where finder (under any condition even after a fresh restart) does not load the folder contents on my computer. Sometimes it loads after multiple restarts but somtimes it doesn't. I cannot browse through files anymore as nothing appears. Nothing also appears on terminal either. Here is a screenshot. Anyone have any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Does this happen on all storage devices, or only one?

3. punchbuggy thread starter macrumors newbie

just my main harddrive. my one external is fine.

4. punchbuggy thread starter macrumors newbie

i've also run disk utility and there are no permission errors and the disk was verified to be in good condition. i've reset pram and safe booted to see if i can see my files there but no luck

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Regardless of what fsck/verify says, there is a pretty good chance this drive is dying.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Replace com.apple.finder.plist in your Home/Library/Preferences folder.

(Drag it out, to the Desktop for safekeeping, then Restart.)

7. tragio macrumors newbie

I am having this problem too - but on all storage devices.

At first I didn't realize it was all devices and thought it was only my primary computer's hard drive, so I did some basic maintenance work there:
    - I booted from an external drive and ran Disc Repair (my registry was a MESS).
    - I moved all the extra files from my desktop into folders on my drive and otherwise cleaned up extra messy files.
    - I threw away my finder and sidebar preferences, emptied the trash, shut down and then booted the computer.

Before all of this files in some folder would take up to 10 minutes to appear - or not appear at all. Now it is moving a little faster, but still can take up to 1.5 minutes for files in larger folders to appear.

Other software working "up to speed" EXCEPT when I am trying to import or place an item from one of these folders in a program like Quark. It takes the computer forever to find any files in the folder and I often have to force quit and relaunch because it hangs up when I'm trying to do this action.

FYI I am running OS 10.4.11 on the last generation Imac before the Intel models were released. (2.1 GHz PowerPC G5)

Any other ideas or suggestions?

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

What happens?

9. tragio macrumors newbie

Bingo - when I login under a different user the problem is gone.
    Sooooo, what does that tell me? Can you suggest a fix under my primary user?

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yeah, abandon it. But do so carefully.

What this tells you is that something in that account is hosed. You can spend gobs of time trying to find what it is, or just migrate to a new account. Mac Help has good info on doing this.