Finder drag&drop question ...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by XheartcoreboyX, Oct 5, 2007.

1. XheartcoreboyX macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

so i loved the drap and drop feature in finder ...

but can you go to the back window/folder while dragging something ??

cmd+[ doesnt seem to work while draging ..

thanks for any help !

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If I'm understanding you correctly, then yes you can. While dragging the files if you hover over the back window (assuming it's within view) and after approximately 1.5-2 seconds it'll come to the front and you can drop in.

3. XheartcoreboyX thread starter macrumors 6502a

XheartcoreboyX

i dont think you got me :( ..

i have the option to open every new folder in a new windows disabled..

so every folder i get into while dragging a file will be in the same window..

lets say im dragging a file and going throught folders and i get in the wrong folder by mistake..

how can i go to the previous folder window ??!!

hope this is clear :rolleyes:

anyone knows ?

please?

shame on OS X if this "feature" aint available. :mad:

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Sorry, cannot really help you. I'm using Column view as default, and then this isn't really an issue... you always have the entire path to wherever you are available... ;)

In Icon or List view, the only thing you can do, that I know of, is press ESC (without releasing the mouse button) to get you back to the first folder you started with, or use the folders in the Finder sidebar to jump to the closest starting point available, but that's not really much help, is it...?

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well I was talking about having two Finder windows open before you start dragging so it doesn't matter how you have window opening setup, but it sounds like you are using Icon view mode, which would have been good to know before. i use Column view so you're problem isn't an issue for me.

I have found a partial answer. If you hit esc while you're dragging through folders you'll jump back to where you first started. Basically it acts as a cancel. The only other option I found would be to drag to your sidebar and start from there. So the only other option is to use a different view, which makes it easier to do this.