Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Franny4321

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
I use an external usb drive to move some files. The first time I wanted to remove the usb drive, I just pulled it out. I got a message saying that was wrong. I need to use the eject button in Finder to avoid ruining anything. (not the Mac exact warning words). Next time I wanted to do the correct thing, but the eject is grayed out. Pulled out the same usb and got the same message. What am I missing here? I am new to Mac, so I know I am missing something.

Franny4321

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Oh yes, I have clicked. This has happen several times. Don't know what is happening! How much damage could I be causing by just unplugging the drive? Thanks in advance for any help.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
The only reason for the warning to "eject before unplugging" is merely so you don't accidentally unplug your device in the middle of a file transfer. I unplug USB devices all the time without ejecting, and have never had any issues (because I make sure it's not transferring anything to/from it before doing so).

Franny4321

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2011
Yes I have restarted and I guess I won't worry if it does not damage anything. Thanks for the replies.

SplicedBanjo

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
I don't think I have ever seen the Eject button get grayed out. If a disk cannot be ejected, you can still click the button, but then you will get a dialog box telling you it couldn't be ejected.

If a disk is unejectable (e.g., an internal hard drive), there won't be any Eject button.

But a grayed out Eject button? I have never heard of this.

me-victoria

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2012
I'm having the same problem.

Hi. The eject button in Finder is grayed out on my computer, too. When I connect a camera via the USB, a scary warning message with a large red X comes up if I turn off the camera or pull out the USB. The message says that I must use Eject before unplugging, and that the next time the device is connected it "will try to repair the damage." However, the eject button is always grayed out and cannot be clicked. Makes me afraid to plug my camera into the Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.