Finder error on startup

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by robertcoogan, Jan 28, 2014.

1. robertcoogan, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014

robertcoogan macrumors 6502

robertcoogan

When I restart my iMac, the Finder goes crazy. This has been ongoing for about two weeks. I went back and searched for those apps I installed during that time - I didn't install any. Here are the problems I am having:

1. I continually hear a soft beeping noise. It is the same noise that you hear if you press a key on the keyboard and you aren't allowed to type, or you try to type too much in a limited text field. Like beeping sounds overlapping each other.

2. One of the folders on my desktop is always selected (usually the HD icon or the one below it). This wouldn't be a problem except I can't select any other folder or file.

3. I can bring up a Finder window, but I cannot select any application which falls below and out of sight (in any view mode). When I try to scroll down, it instantly snaps the display (column, list, or icon view) back to the top. Even launching apps is all but impossible. It's like the Mac is stuck processing (something) and won't do anything else until it finishes...the hideous repeating startup Finder loop.

Nothing I do seems to fix it. However it does seem to resolve itself if I manage to start up an application. Usually it won't let me start up anything - a lot of furious typing and clicking and it goes away. What stops it, I don't know.

I did have TotalFinder installed, but I uninstalled it and restarted, and the problem came back. Repairing permissions and running the gamut with Onyx didn't help either.

Otherwise everything seems to work normally.

Help!

UPDATE: I did try force quitting the Finder, it did not work.

iMac (mid-2011)
    Mac OS X (10.9.1)
    2.7 GHz Intel i5
    2 TB Seagate HD (only 1 year old)
    16 GB RAM 1333 MHz DDR3 (1 stock, 1 is 1 year old)

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Test in another account : do you have the same problem there ?

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try holding the shift key when you boot as a test. That will start in Safe Mode, which is a stripped down startup that bypasses an login or startup items you have. If that fixes it, that tells you one of your login/startup items is causing the problem.

How did you uninstall Total Finder? Did you use the official uninstaller? If you did not, you might want to reinstall then use the uninstaller.