Finder, File Chooser, Rename Files??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by chelsel, Sep 23, 2007.

1. chelsel macrumors 6502

I like the Mac and OS X... but there are some things I really liked about Windows Explorer... and maybe I just don't know how to do it on the Mac... so if anyone knows, please share :)

Let's say I'm saving a document using File-Save As. I navigate to a folder and realize I need a place to create a directory... I choose "New Folder" and give it a name... then I realize that I put the New Folder in the wrong location.

Here's the question: On Windows, I can just right-click the folder, bring up the context menu and select Delete... on the Mac I can't figure out how to manipulate files while I'm in a Save As (or other file dialog) scenario...

Do I have to go to the actual Finder application, locate the directory with the problem and then go about my fixes? Or is there a way to do it all in one spot? If no, will Leopard allow this?

Thanks!

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

As far as I know, Leopard has no additional functionality in the open/save dialog boxes that support these functions that have been in Windows since Win95. This is the only functionality I want from Windows and yet, Apple continue to ignore it.

You have to go to Finder, locate the misplaced folder and move or remove it.

3. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

In Finder if you want to delete a folder just drag it to the trash. If you want to move it, just drag it to wherever you want to move it to.