Finder File Organization in iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SuperSpiker, Nov 2, 2009.

1. SuperSpiker macrumors member

When I add an album that has Various Artists to iTunes it creates the folder structure in Finder like so:

Artist > Album > Song

The problem is that I'd like to keep the folder structure in finder to:

Album > Artist > Song

In other words I'd like to keep all the tracks for the compilation in the same folder in Finder.

Is this possible?

Thanks.

2. sahnert macrumors 6502

Select a single track from the album and choose File>Get Info.

under the Info tab, Look for the checkbox that says "Part of a compilation."

iTunes will create a Compilations folder and the structure will be Compilations>Album>Song.

3. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

You don't need to select each individual track. Just select all the tracks and mark them as part of a compilation.

4. SuperSpiker thread starter macrumors member

I have a mark in the check box that says "Part of a compilation" however no such folder called "compilations" in Finder.

I'm guessing that this is because I've unchecked the "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" in iTunes preferences. The reason I've unchecked that option is because I don't want iTunes to go rogue against my music folder structure.

For example it is my understanding that iTunes will rename the music filename to whatever it wants when I want the filename to be simply:

Artist - Song.mp3

Seems like a no win situation for me... am I wrong?

5. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

Then your only option is to manually create a folder for that album. If you don't let iTunes manage your folder structure, it won't manage your folder structure.

I still don't understand why so many people are obsessed about not letting iTunes manage this... :confused:

6. SuperSpiker thread starter macrumors member

Becuase when iTunes manages the folder structure it's useless to try to search for or make use of music OUTSIDE of iTunes.

iTunes does this:

Counting Crows
    --August And Everything After
    ----01 Round Here.mp3
    ----02 Omaha.mp3
    ----03 Mr. Jones.mp3
    ...and so on

I need the structure to be:

Counting Crows
    --August And Everything After
    ----Counting Crows - Round Here.mp3
    ----Counting Crows - Omaha.mp3
    ----Counting Crows - Mr. Jones.mp3
    ...and so on

The iTunes way of file naming is non-standard.

Is there a way I can have iTunes manage my library but give me the control to name the music files in finder?

Thanks for the replies.

7. c-Row macrumors 65816

c-Row

No, that's not possible. If iTunes doesn't manage the library, all changes within iTunes are saved to the library file but not the songs themselves. There are ways around this as well, but in my opinion the hassle isn't worth the apparent benefit.

8. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I just let iTunes manage my music files however it wants. On the rare occasion I need access to the actual file, I can just right click it in iTunes and select "Show in Finder".

Manually managing a file directory structure is so old-fashioned.