Finder Folder Structure

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bbafett, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Bbafett macrumors regular

i just started using my photos app to import from phone. However, I want to continue to use a finder folder structure that I have been using. Usually I import in iPhoto/photos app and then copy to the finder folder I want the file in. Now when I import in PHOTOS I then try and copy images and movies to finder but it will only use an image of the movie rather the movie file itself.

Why is it not copying the movie file into finder? How can I get around this?

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

When you import the images into Photos, is Photos > Preferences > General: Copy items to the Photos library selected? If yes, how are you "copying" from Photos? Are you using Photos Export... feature, dragging images from a Photos album, or are you going into the Photos library package?

3. Bbafett thread starter macrumors regular

Okay so I am trying to copy them from the imported section in Photos by command +c like I do pictures and it will make a copy of it but it will save the video as a single image instead of the video itself. The only way I can put a copy into a folder structure in finder so I can organize them the way I want is to drill into the Photos library package and find the video and copy it over. Not very user friendly for Apple. At this point I will most likely go back to using iPhoto as I at least could do what I want with it.

I don't know if I like every picture being in the cloud regardless of how secure apple is plus not knowing where the physical pictures are is kind of annoying. The collections is okay but if I don't remember when an event is then it is irritating to find.

If someone can explain how they deal with keeping their photos organized maybe it will clear up some of my issues.

thx

4. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

The problem, apparently, is that you're doing a CMND+C to copy - what that's doing is giving you the thumbnail image that's displayed in the image browser, rather than the movie file. If you simply selected the movie(s) (click, CMND+A, CTRL-click, Shift-click, as the case may be) in the image browser and did a drag-and-drop into Finder, you'd be copying the movie files.

For what it's worth, it doesn't matter whether you're doing a CMND+C on a still image or a movie - either way, you'll end up with the thumbnail.

I can't give you a hard-and-fast reason for this, though I suspect it's because they intend CMND+C for pasting into email, texts, etc., where a small-size image may be desirable.

Are you actually using Photos for more than importing images? If you're just using it as an import tool, you may find Image Capture to be a better app to work with - you'd be able to import those images directly into your Finder folders.

The way you're doing things now, you're making two copies of each master image. Is that your desire, or would you rather have just one copy?

Typically, someone who wants to keep their own folder structure in Finder first imports them to those Finder folders, then Imports from those folders into Photos/iPhoto/Aperture. See Photos Help > Work with Photos > Manage your Photos library > Change where Photos stores your files (this is a "referenced library").

You may not be interested in how I organize things, since I'm all-in for the way Photos/iPhoto/Aperture are intended to be used. I've worked with databases since the '80s, so I have no problems with the underlying concepts. I find the Finder method to be excruciatingly inadequate - unnecessarily time-consuming, and far less flexible. "Organizing" for me is entirely done within the Photos/iPhoto/Aperture system - I create Albums and Smart Albums so I can find things the way I want, and let the database store the masters where it sees fit, which, since the date-based nested folder structure inside the library is completely consistent and comprehensible, is perfectly OK with me.

5. Bbafett thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you very much for your assistance.

I am indeed basically using the import function only for Photos/Iphoto. Since I have always used the finder folder structure I have continued to use it as I guess I didn't spend the time organizing all the photos. I will look at the Image capture App and see if that will be better for me if I stay the Finder Folders route of organizing.

Since all my pictures are in the finder folders after I import them, I might delete my photos library and see about importing all those folders in to see how it puts them into albums.

If I do that and I sync through Itunes using my photos library it will sync every album or is there a way I can mark it so maybe it excludes certain albums I don't want on my phone/ipad?