Thanks for replying guys.Sorting by kind with folders at the top can be done in Leopard with a little hacking:
If you're not comfortable with this, don't do it!
With that out of the way:
- navigate to: /System/Library/CoreServices/
- right-click Finder.app and select Show package contents...
- navigate to: Contents>Resources>English.lproj
- backup InfoPlist.strings
- open the original InfoPlist.strings in a text editor
- locate the line that says:
- add a space at the start of the second "Folder":Code:
"Folder" = "Folder";
- save the fileCode:
"Folder" = " Folder";
- reboot or relaunch Finder
The space in front of "Folder" forces folders to the top of the list when sorting alphabetically by kind.