Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

codeman7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Hello! I normally run my mac with "Use LCD font smoothing when available" disabled. Personal preference.

However, I noticed on High Sierra, in the Finder, I get weird behavior with file lists. Some files get the LCD font smoothing treatment and others don't.

This has persisted through reboots and toggling the setting. Anyone else seeing this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 6.34.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 6.34.23 PM.png
    64.4 KB · Views: 291

Stq

macrumors member
May 1, 2016
I also noticed this! Not only in Finder, but almost in all apps, text with and without LCD smoothing are mixed, even in the Settings - General page itself, when this LCD font smoothing option is set to OFF. My UI language is Japanese. If I switch to English I see less of these LCD smoothing text but still in some places like you mentioned.

This is annoying because I use the down sampling resolution where subpixel rendering just makes no sense.

Reactions: codeman7

Stq

macrumors member
May 1, 2016
The bug report I sent to Apple was marked as duplicate. So it seems that at least Apple is already aware of this issue and we can probably expect a fix in a follwing update.

Reactions: Transgredi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.