Finder freezes when network shares are no longer available

Discussion in 'macOS' started by brijazz, May 28, 2011.

1. brijazz macrumors 6502

brijazz

I have problems with Finder freezing when a Finder window is focused on a no-longer-available network share. Here's a typical scenario:

- at home, I browse my shared iMac on my network via Finder on my MacBook
    - I sleep my MacBook, and take it with me to work, where I connect to my workplace's Wi-fi ; obviously, the iMac shares are no longer available
    - when I go into Finder, it freezes up... I guess because it's still looking for the mounted shares?

I then have to force-quit Finder; when I do that, Finder won't relaunch itself (I get an error with code 10810). If I just leave the system alone for a while, it eventually allows me to launch the Finder again. Any advice?

2. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

Historically, this was an absolutely horrendous problem IMO. I remember accidentally sending one machine to sleep without unmounting shared volumes from another machine, and things locking up completely as Mac OS X seemed to panic, as if to say, 'Oh no, I've lost a network volume! STOP ALL WORK!! STOP EVERYTHING UNTIL I CAN WORK OUT WHAT HAPPENED TO IT!!!' Madness. But I don't remember that happening for a long time so I assume Apple finally addressed it with more recent OS updates. Are you running Snow Leopard?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

How long do you wait before you force restart Finder?

I've found if a network resource is disconnected, Finder freezes for a few minutes but then tells me the shared disk is no longer available and to disconnect. This happens to me when I close out my work VPN connection without closing out the server connections I've made.

4. brijazz thread starter macrumors 6502

brijazz

Yup. Snow Leopard is running on all machines.

5. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

Hmm… Not good. I just assumed Apple had fixed something because my recent experience has been better — I get an alert, but the system remains responsive.

Right, that is what used to happen to me, and it's not acceptable IMO. You should never be locked out of the Finder for a few minutes just because your Mac can't find a shared volume.

You using Snow Leopard too?

6. brijazz thread starter macrumors 6502

brijazz

Just testing this out. I switched networks at 8:46am; Finder froze up as expected. It's now 8:53am, and it's still frozen. I would assume that if OS X was going to sort itself out, it wouldn't take this long! Force-quit it is :mad:

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

8. kalsta macrumors 68000

kalsta

Still too long. What version of OS X are you on? 10.6.7?

9. brijazz thread starter macrumors 6502

brijazz

Yup, but IIRC this also happened on earlier versions of OS X.