Finder FTP option

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jota73, Jun 20, 2007.

1. jota73 macrumors 6502

jota73

Guys,

I read on of the latest tips on how to use finder to connect to an FTP server, without using thrid party applications. I did as mention on the tip, but I get an error that says something like " cannot connect because some information of server ftp...... cannot be readed or written..."

Can someone help telling me what am I doing wrong?

thanks

Juan

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

FTP through Finder isn't great. Which method are you using?

3. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

Rather than saying "an error that kinda says something like this...maybe, sometimes" could we get the exact error?

You're not gonna get the best performance with Finder FTP in any case which is why a lot of people prefer third-party solutions.

Edit: By the way, if you're looking at the tip I think you're looking at, I don't believe it mentions that Finder's FTP capabilities don't include uploading. In other words, any FTP servers mounted in the Finder are read-only. Definitely limits its usefulness.

4. jota73 thread starter macrumors 6502

jota73

I believe that the error is likely what I said... sorry, language set to spanish....

Well, I have been using cyberduck, works pretty good, just thought that finder would be better instead of a third party.

thanks
    Juan

5. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

I'd agree with you on many different things in respect to relying on Finder, but FTP support is not yet one of the Finder's strengths. Hopefully that'll change soon enough.

6. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I agree with the above that Finder won't do much for FTP.

Might I suggest Transmit? It's a great application for that purpose. It's not free, but it's worth every penny.

7. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

[​IMG]

http://www.apple.com/pro/tips/ftp_files.html

Interesting... I was hoping this was a feature that would be revealed in 10.4.10... Installed it... no dice.

This is a really odd tip considering it still doesn't work, yet this claims it does.

8. aspro macrumors 6502

I find that when it does work it works slowly and often causes lockups. I would say you are much better served by using a third party tool.