Finder going very slow

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jblack4083, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Jblack4083 macrumors regular

My finder has been going very slow and doing weird things. I try to click on something on the left side, for example the Macintosh HD button, and I get the beachball for a while then it opens up. Also, there's a file in there I can't delete. I try dragging it and it goes to the trash bin but... It comes back into the same place.

I ran Disk Utility and verified the disk and got this message:

[​IMG]

WTF is going on. I bought this in August 2007.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

To repair the drive, assuming its not a hardware issue, boot up to install disc 1 with the 'C' key held down on the keyboard. Choose English as the main language, but instead of going through with the install, click Utilities in the menu bar and run Disk Utility. With the internal drive selected, you should now be able to Repair Disk. If it can't be repaired with Disk Utility, you can try a non-Apple solution like Disk Warrior or Tech Tools. The main causes of lag in the OS are due to background processes which can be displayed and stopped in Activity Monitor, lack of hard disk space (< 10% free), or a ridiculous buildup of Cache files that makes the system overall more sluggish.

3. Jblack4083 thread starter macrumors regular

Would it be safe to clear all my system caches? I use Onyx

4. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Cache files, to my understanding, do not contain usable data and I clear them all the time without any harm to the system.