Finder Hangs in El Cap

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by brownbird, Oct 22, 2015.

1. brownbird macrumors member

brownbird

Anyone else experiencing the Finder hanging a lot?
    Some windows refuse to show an accurate list of files in the folder.
    Open dialog from other programs creates a beachball.
    Making a text edit window active causes a beachball.
    Sometimes even opening a document (InDesign) creates a beachball (before ID dock icon appears).

Very strange stuff. Already submitted a bug report, just curious if you guys are also noticing these issues.

2. Alan Mackey macrumors newbie

Yeah, it's happening to me rather frequently. Very, very, very annoying.

3. bigenius macrumors member

bigenius

Happening to me all the time :/ Also when attaching a file in Safari (like in Gmail) Safari hangs and requires a force quit. Something is really wrong with either Finder or some disk read routine.

4. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

Safari seems to hang, especially if left open during sleep mode. Somehow force quit isn't available and I have to pull the plug. I assume that means the finder cashed too. Also, the system warning beep goes postal during startup. But then 10.11.1 is much more stable than 10.11 was.

5. archvile macrumors regular

archvile

I'm having a weird freezing issue also, on the newest 2015 MBP 13"...basically at totally random times (maybe 3-4 times a day), the mouse cursor will not let me click on anything, but I can still move the mouse. Menu buttons are not responsive at all, but the weird thing is I can do the three-finger swipe left or right to switch apps, or go up to pull up Expose. However, it won't let me single-click (or double-click) on anything. This will last for about 10 seconds at which point all of my backlogged clicks will activate in unison and then it will go back to normal. Did not do this on any of the PBs for El Cap. Thinking of doing a fresh install but it seems more like a driver issue with the trackpad than anything else. Very bizarre.

6. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I always wipe my Macs hard drives or SSD's of all data and perform a clean install.

This version of OS X may be the most sensitive, as in one case I had a friend that asked me to do his (he's a user only) and didn't want his drive wiped. So I just upgraded and sure enough it has this finder problem being discussed here.

So now, not having a choice, I wiped his SSD, did a clean install and it works perfectly.

Once again I was reminded of the benefits of a clean install :D

7. brownbird thread starter macrumors member

brownbird

Mine is on a clean install.

8. archvile macrumors regular

archvile

I usually do clean installs, I just didn't for this one because I was on the betas and then jumped to the GM then to the final final. I guess that will be my project tonight then.

9. 2128506 macrumors regular

It's nice to hear that some things are stable and don't change – I've had exactly the same issue on TM-restored upgraded-from-Mavericks Yosemite.

Gone completely with clean install of Yosemite using USB stick (not recovery options, as it would install Yosemite my nMP came with).

P.S. And instead of fixing showstopper bugs Apple adds new emojis...

10. OCDMacGeek macrumors 6502a

OCDMacGeek

Anyone able to give the new beta for 10.11.2 a test to see if it helps?

11. bigenius macrumors member

bigenius

Mine is a clean install, still having the issue...

12. TnUser macrumors newbie

13. TnUser macrumors newbie

I have 10.11.2 installe and still get finder hangs although not as often. Right clicking or using diskutil seems to cause the most.

14. archvile macrumors regular

archvile

Did clean install of 10.11.2... Finder still hangs up occasionally but 3-finger gestures work, which is odd. But unable to single or right-click on anything for about 10-15 seconds, then all of the clicks catch up and execute at once.