Finder hangs on boot up

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by stringzz, Apr 24, 2008.

1. stringzz macrumors member

stringzz

I have a new 2.8 single quad core Mac Pro. I have a HD on Bay 2 that I have partitioned with Boot Camp and have a ntfs partition with Win XP. Lately, I have noticed sometimes when I log into my account that Finder hangs with the beach ball and it looks like Finder can't find the WinXP partition. The beach ball hangs in Finder, but I can run other applications. I have tried to force quit Finder with no luck in hopes of reseting it. I eventually have to do a hard reset.

Any ideas why this would be happening?

2. stringzz thread starter macrumors member

stringzz

I still get this issue, and it's really frustrating! I bought a MAC because the OS is supposed to be stable, yet it's like I am dealing with Vista here.

Is the Bootcamp partition causing the issue? My bootcamp partition is using NTFS, does this cause issues for osX?

3. tugger macrumors regular

tugger

Does it happen consistently?

Have you considered that the drive may be faulty or there may be a bad sector? Have you run a disk utility program to check the drive's integrity?

Have you tried a Boot Camp and Windows re-install?

4. stringzz thread starter macrumors member

stringzz

It happens around 25% of the time, and then I can't quit and restart finder, nor can I restart, I have to hold the power button to restart the computer.

I'll check the disk.