Finder help for a new switcher

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LegendKillerUK, Mar 31, 2011.

1. LegendKillerUK macrumors 6502

Hi,

I'm a recent switcher from Windows and have a couple of problems with the Finder that I hope can be remedied.

Firstly, when creating a new folder, the icon will jump on top of a already existing folder at the top left of the window. How can I stop that? I'd much rather it made the new folder in the next available space rather than on top of another.

Secondly, How can I arrange it so it displays folders first then files? This change isn't something over the last few weeks I've gotten used to, it just looks incredibly messy.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    I just did a quick Google search and found this. I personally have not tried it so YMMV.

3. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

What Operation system verison are you using?

I always see things in column view and have it set that way. When I switched it to icon view my folders are created in an organized way.

I suggest you go to finder and go to finder preferences and go through those.

Then open a finder window and control click in the window to get other ways to change view options. There are many ways you can change the viewing options and I am sure you can find a way you prefer toying around with the options.

I have OCD issues and have no issues with how organized my finder windows are- but I had to change some settings to get it that way.

Also a tip- if you put a space before any file or folder name it moves it to the top of the list in finder view. Two spaces puts it above the one space names which puts it above the no space names.

4. LegendKillerUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Stupidly I didn't post my OS :rolleyes: I'm on Snow Leopard 10.6.7.

When playing with SL in a VM on Windows before buying my MBP, I had it arranged in such a way that creating a new folder didn't end up with the icon sitting on top of another. Of course, I've completely forgotten which setting it was. I'll have a play about later when I get home again. :)

5. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Icons aren't supposed to end up sitting on top of each other. I think you've found a bug (don't be surprised, Finder has many).

I switched from Windows in 2003 (well, I still use both XP and OS X daily) and while I prefer OS X overall, Finder certainly has its quirks. Don't let anyone tell you that it's perfect or that the Finder way is the best way. For example, sorting folders first, then files, is not a standard option in OS X, and every time I asked about it, the gist of the answer I always got was "why the heck would you want to do that? The Finder way is correct and that's how it should be". :rolleyes:

You soon learn to accept that that's just how it is in OS X, for better or for worse, and you get used to it.

6. LegendKillerUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Pretty wide bug then, it's always happened to me on a fresh install. I assumed it was natural behaviour. :(

In an ideal world it would be Windows Explorer in the Finder layout. Getting used to the lack of cut and paste, I'm sure I'll get on fine but it seems like such a nuisance not to have.

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You can't, always. Some things just refuse to be sorted that way. I know there's a reason, but can't remember it. Using the space trick is about your only recourse when you encounter stubborn folders.

8. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I didn't like folders sorted separately before I came to OS X so it's one of the things I really like about the Finder. There are times I wish folders were at the top so I could manually navigate through them. What works better for me in the end is always sorting by recently modifed. This brings recent files and folders to the top regardless of what they are named. The only time I have to switch to alpha sort is when I haven't touched a file or folder in months.

I have an add on for OS X that puts a menu bar on top of the second monitor. I paid for the shareware. Yesterday I disabled it. Sure I like having the second menu bar but I don't like the behavior of the shareware that enabled it.

This is a risk if you go out and get some app to change or "hack" the way Finder sorts things. Introducing instability or the risk of instability with third party software is something that should only be done if you absolutely cannot live with something. A better alternative would be to consider a third party finder. The one I use is Pathfinder. It offers "cut" which is conspicuously missing from Finder. I'm not sure if it offers sorting folders first but it would be worth downloading the trial and checking for yourself.

The advantage to a third party app is it doesn't (normally) mess up your system settings. The only time you get the behavior is when you explicitly run the app. I used Pathfinder as a crutch as I came over from Windows but I haven't run it in many months now and the good news is I don't have any third party hacks cluttering up my OS.

hope this helps...