Finder help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Caelus, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Caelus macrumors newbie

Hi there. I just bought a macbook and i have only ever used windows. I have a few quick questions:

Does finder ever close? The little dot under the icon is always 'on', and i don't see an option to close it.

When you drag something (like a stack) from the dock to the desktop, why does it disappear? Is it just removing the shortcut?

Last but not least.. is there a way to continue downloads when the computer goes to sleep?

Thank you so much. This group seems very knowledgeable!

2. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

No Finder never closes. It reminds me of Haratio in CSI Miami: "We never close." However, it's possible to relaunch it if somethings freezes. Holding the Option key and clicking on the Finder icon in the Dock until a contextual menu opens will allow you to relaunch it.

You answered your own question. They are just shortcuts.

Not sure, but I don't think it will continue downloading stuffs when it is put to sleep.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

explorer is always open in Windows. if you quit it in the task manager any explorer windows open will close and the taskbar will disappear.

you can quit Finder using a hack but its only really useful for old slow Macs which need to squeeze every little bit of power from somewhere.

click the refresh icon in the Downloads window or double click on the Safari icon with the blue progress bar in your Downloads folder to continue downloads that stopped.

4. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

You can quit the Finder pretty easily by using Quicksilver. I recommend keeping the Finder open at all times unless you want it to relaunch itself.

5. M4CBOOK macrumors regular

M4CBOOK

Nope

I dont think so