Finder hogging ram on new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RZS, Nov 18, 2010.

1. RZS macrumors newbie

I bought a brand new 15" i7 MBP two weeks ago. Today I noticed Finder taking up 375 MB of RAM, somewhat significantly more than anything else running. As of now I still just have the stock 4 GB ram in the machine, and less than 100 MB are free.

I'm not noticing any huge slowdowns so I'm not totally worried about it, I was just surprised to see Finder using so much memory. Is this normal? Is there an easy way to restart Finder?

(This is my first mac, so maybe this is normal and I just don't realize it)

2. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

Do you leave it running for days without restarting?

3. davidlv macrumors 65816

I don't think that is normal. My system has been up for days and finder is using only 17.4MB. Try downloading OnyX from macupdate.com and run all of the maintenance and cleaning items (some require a reboot).
    I would also run the Repair Permissions in Disk Utility but of course that is probably not directly related.
    If that doesn't help, I would try running the combo updater and then Software Update to make sure the system is OK.
    Sure sounds like something is messed up somewhere.

4. RZS thread starter macrumors newbie

I probably haven't restarted the machine since sometime this past weekend. Could that be causing the issue? I had always heard about how no one ever restarted their macs, so I hadn't been worrying about it too much.

5. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

No. I haven't restarted in weeks and mine is only at 38 MB.