Finder icon in dock, opening new window?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rainmanbk, Oct 21, 2010.

1. rainmanbk macrumors 6502

rainmanbk

The current behavior of the Finder icon in the dock first brings Finder windows currently open into focus. I often wish I could click the Finder icon, and have a new window open. However if each time it was clicked, it brought current windows to focus, but then also created a new window, this would be annoying. So how about this:

If the Finder isn't in focus, one click will bring it into focus. The next click, assuming now that the Finder is focused, creates a new Finder window. Also, it could even be conceived that a double click of the Finder icon, when out of focus, would both bring current windows to focus, and then create a new window directly.

Would anybody else like this way of operation?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why not just use Command-N to open a new window?

3. rainmanbk thread starter macrumors 6502

rainmanbk

That's always an option, but I was just thinking in terms of fluidity of mouse control specifically.

4. Skika macrumors 68030

Wow didn't know that one. Tnx!

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I never click the Finder icon in the Dock. Do a poll.

6. DomAr1 macrumors newbie

DomAr1

i agree 100%. yeah you can command n but like you said its not fluid when you just want to use the mouse or trackpad to get around

7. ericpace macrumors newbie

Command-N does not open a new Finder window when Finder is not the focused application. Do you know of a global hot-key?

thanks

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, because Command-N will open a new window in other apps, as well. To make Finder the focused app, simply click once on the desktop (beside the Dock, if you have other windows covering the rest of the desktop.)

9. ericpace macrumors newbie

I'm aware that clicking the desktop shifts focus to Finder.

I'm running OS X on a 13" macbook, so to maximize space, i auto-hide the dock and prefer to keep my windows maximized. Thus my desktop is rarely visible. At times i have multiple Finder windows open across different Spaces, and every time i click the Finder icon on the dock it changes the Space im working in (this is not desired).

What i would like is to be able to open a new Finder window without having to shift focus to Finder, and have the new finder window open in the current Space im working in.

Im currently trying an applescript approach using Quick Silver:
    http://hintsforums.macworld.com/archive/index.php/t-80671.html

Thanks for the help!

10. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

cmd-option-space may be close enough to what you want.

11. ericpace macrumors newbie

Managed to define my own global hotkey using Quicksilver. But thanks i wasn't aware of the cmd-option-space! :)