Finder Icon Missing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MyDesktopBroke, Oct 1, 2009.

1. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

Jun 2, 2007
    Today I tried to change the finder icon in the dock. Because I'm cheap, I dont have candybar, so I tried to use liteicon. While this changed the finder icon in messages like "do you want to empty trash," it did not change it on the dock, even after logging out and relaunching the dock.

So I went into a bunch of core services and replaced all the finder .icns and .pngs with the one I wanted to use.

When I relaunched the dock, the finder was invisible, but it still had the little blue "open" dot below where it was.

I downloaded the candybar trial to try to fix it, but even candybar didn't get the icon back.

I'm using 10.5.8. Where are all the places the finder icon should be to show up?
  2. MyDesktopBroke thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 2, 2007
    I forgot to say that the finder icon is now only missing in the dock. The normal one is still in all dialog boxes.

edit: probably should have made that an edit. Sorry.
  3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

May 22, 2008
    Milwaukee, WI
    Correction: You broke your Desktop

Do you suppose what you did modified the plist file for the Dock, or for Finder? Let the OS generate new ones and see if all is back to default. Then leave well enough alone! Or not.
  4. MyDesktopBroke thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 2, 2007
    I deleted all the dock, icon cache and finder plist files after the finder went missing, logged out, restarted, but the icon was still gone.
  5. celticpride678

Feb 15, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Looks like an Archive and Install is needed. If that does not work, then a Clean Install will be at hand.